Bias towards user's Full names

• 8 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Full names are the real identifier of a person, and not the username.

To deliver a more ‘human’ experience, could we resolve Full names against users against their activities, leaderboards and bring the @mention Full Name approach, LinkedIn style because no one really memorises usernames to loop in the person.

This goes hand in hand with the User search initiative. This idea is more about making Full Names a display priority across the UI, over usernames as it is currently.

And yes, on a separate discussion/Idea I’ll request the username field to not accept spaces in the username.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

One challenge of this: When your community is public, full names would be exposed. Many users may be uncomfortable with that. 

Here’s a suggestion I submitted recently related to it: 

Badge

I agree with @DannyPancratz. Not every type of community is a B2B community where a real name policy is considered standard, like on LinkedIn or professional collaboration platforms (Slack, Teams, etc.). A public B2C community, for example, couldn’t survive (in my opinion) with a forced real name approach.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Learning something new, and tbh @DannyPancratz, and @bjoern_schulze  “Full names exposed” dont sound alarming to me, rather encrypting Full names to usernames, does.

As you point out LinkedIn and other platforms we model on… here’s a couple of Huge, thriving SAAS b2b community examples

community.bmc.com

community.sap.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

One challenge of this: When your community is public, full names would be exposed. Many users may be uncomfortable with that. 

Here’s a suggestion I submitted recently related to it: 

I like your idea @DannyPancratz and voted. It’s also my intent to drive towards a People’s directory so that your community is also your SME dB.

Badge

My contribution here is - whatever you do with identities, make it a positive action to select an option and never a default. Communities are so wildly different in their needs when it comes to identities. What helps one succeed would utterly destroy another. Mine, for example, thrives on anonymity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My contribution here is - whatever you do with identities, make it a positive action to select an option and never a default. Communities are so wildly different in their needs when it comes to identities. What helps one succeed would utterly destroy another. Mine, for example, thrives on anonymity.

Can't debate that @Onomatopoeia  👍 … btw, did you upVote ddpancatraz’s idea? (woops sorry couldnt tell the full name )