Solved

Anyone else seeing reports of issues with email notifications?

• Team Captain
  • 66 replies

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone else’s community is reporting any issues with email notifications?

We've been informed by some of our superusers that they've stopped receiving emails notifications to new replies in topics they're following/favourited.

It appears as though this is a recent development. Could it be linked to the small release to fix the order of replies in the favourites page? I believe this happened at the end of last week.

(They've checked that their notification settings are correct.)

icon

Best answer by Julian 7 May 2021, 16:20

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi m4rc,

we do get questions like these from time to time, but if we don’t see any reports from other communities it often comes down to an individual issue.

Most of the times we can see that the users simply did not visit a topic, but as it is about a Superuser here we have somewhat confidence that the user understands which notifications will arrive.

As you provided the user details to us, we now have found that (so it seems) the email provider of this user somehow is causing our notifications to bounce. The developers are checking the exact reason for that so that we can hopefully assist in overcoming this problem.

My colleagues from the support team will keep you up-to-date on the further development of this.

Thanks @Julian Yep, all sorted now. It was some weird security/VPN thing the member had added to his Mac’s mail app. Strange days indeed… Cristina from support has sorted it! :relaxed:

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Interesting, that explains also why we saw very weird bounce messages that we could not explain to ourselves. 🙂 Thanks for sharing the update.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’ll use this topic to my question.

You have subscribed topic -> Do you get notifications about new comments all the time, no matter do you visit in that topic or not?

Badge

I’ll use this topic to my question.

You have subscribed topic -> Do you get notifications about new comments all the time, no matter do you visit in that topic or not?

Not anymore! You only get ONE notification now until you visit the topic again. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Good question - no you will not receive emails all of the time:

As we try to limit spam, we will not send a notification again if you have not visited the topic after you received a notification for new replies.

Once you visit that topic, the system “resets” and you will get a new notification for a new reply, and only receive a new one after you visited the topic.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sorry but I dont understand why to subscribe, if you get only one notification.

Hopefully you are going to change this or build some workaround.

Hi @Julian 

Quick question - one of my users reports that they only receive notifications when another user @mentions them.

So, a question is asked, he responds, the original poster responds - but then he is not receiving an email unless he is @mentioned in it. Is there any way to work around this?  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hmm as mentioned further above, most of the times this can be explained by either the settings or the behaviour of a user. 

I would start by asking the user to check the settings, to see if the notifications for new replies etc. are actually activated. The settings url is global for all users, here it would be: 

https://community.insided.com/settings/profile

I doubt that the user accidentially has set up some filter or rule for other email notifications to automatically land in a specific folder in the email inbox, but might be worth checking.

Also, from your description I cannot say if this so far has only been observed in an isolated thread, or if it happens in all topics. Could be that the user manually removed the topic from subscriptions / favorites. This can be checked here:

https://community.insided.com/favorite/overview

If none of this helps, feel free to send an email to our support team, including the username / link to the profile page. Our support team then can check if / when the emails went out, so that you can further investigate.

Hope this helps!?

Hi @Julian 

Yes this helps, thank you!