How to Create An Event

• 18 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Got an event coming up? Whether online or in-person, you can use inSided to promote your event and engage your community. In this guide you’ll find out how to create a new event on your community, and tips for maximising engagement / signups.

How to Create a New Event

1. In Control, press the Create menu item, and press ‘New Event’.
  2. Add in the the mandatory details for your event.
    • Title
    • Timezone
    • Event start date/time
    • Event end date/time
    • Description
  3. [Optional] Add in any optional details for your event
    • Event image
    • Event type (you can also add custom event types).
    • Location (this is just a plain text string)
    • URL + URL display name.
    • Confirmation message (shown after a logged-in user presses ‘Attend’ on an event).
  4. [Optional] Feature topics on your event to encourage meaningful community conversations both before and after your event.
    • In order to feature a topic, just search for an existing conversation, article, or question, and select it in the dropdown.
    • These topics will be featured on the event page and in the attendee modal
  5. Press publish - your event is now live on the community, and will show up in the event calendar and the event overview.

If you need to update any event details after publishing the event, simply log in to Control, navigate to Content → Content Types → Events. Choose your event, and save your changes.

Made a mistake? No problem - from the same Events page in Control you can also delete your event.

Tips for events with a formal signup process

Does your event have a formal signup process that requires more than a simple RSVP (e.g. buy a ticket, provide registration details)?

Follow these 2 steps to guarantee that you don’t miss any signups!

1. Add a clear URL display name, like ‘Get your ticket’ or ‘Register for the webinar’.
  2. Add a confirmation message with a hyperlink: e.g. ‘Thanks for your interest in this event! Don’t forget to register for the webinar.

Tips for boosting community + event engagement via the event page

You can use featured topics on your event to drive traffic to certain community conversations or articles, and encourage your community members to give input on a topic before an event starts, and as a reference or to keep the conversation going after the event has ended.

Examples:

• Start a conversation with a clear call-to-action (e.g. ‘Share any challenges you have with [subject]’)
  • Include any relevant guides/news/articles that you published around the subject of the event.
  • After the event, add wrap-up articles/conversations (e.g with references to slides) - you can also use this as an opportunity to answer any questions that there wasn’t time for during the event itself.

Finally, here are some an images showcasing what a published event with every single input filled out looks like on the community in three key touchpoints

• The event page itself
  • The event overview page
  • The homepage with the upcoming events widget
The event page - where users can discover more information about the event and RSVP.

The same event shown on the event overview, where users can browse upcoming and past events. Optional fields that are shown here: event type, featured image, location.

And finally, the same event shown in the upcoming events widget on the homepage, where users can discover events coming up soon. The only optional field shown here is the event type.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

I really like this feature and want to use it, but I miss a couple things.

1. Most of our events need a formal registration, and even following the tips above, I was afraid users would not notice that they still have to sign up formally. If they click the Attend/RSVP button, it’s confusing when the Confirmation Dialog says “you’re attending” but the text below contradicts that.

In the end I abandoned the Event and am still using Article type with everything formatted manually to avoid disappointed attendees.

I wonder if this aspect could be improved a bit so others in my situation can more confidently use the events feature?

1. Another thing unclear to me is how the event time appears in different time zones? I would always prefer to see a time zone next to the time, as confirmation that it knows where I am, and I suppose users also appreciate this. Otherwise I would have to make this clear in text below, by stating the times in major time zones again, which is a bit redundant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

I really like this feature and want to use it, but I miss a couple things.

1. Most of our events need a formal registration, and even following the tips above, I was afraid users would not notice that they still have to sign up formally. If they click the Attend/RSVP button, it’s confusing when the Confirmation Dialog says “you’re attending” but the text below contradicts that.

In the end I abandoned the Event and am still using Article type with everything formatted manually to avoid disappointed attendees.

I wonder if this aspect could be improved a bit so others in my situation can more confidently use the events feature?

1. Another thing unclear to me is how the event time appears in different time zones? I would always prefer to see a time zone next to the time, as confirmation that it knows where I am, and I suppose users also appreciate this. Otherwise I would have to make this clear in text below, by stating the times in major time zones again, which is a bit redundant.

Thanks a lot for the feedback @JessEs!

We’d love to get you using events, so I’m interested to see how we can help you achieve #1 in particular. What platform are you using for the formal signups?

We do show the timezone to the end user on the events page based on their browser (see below) - are you talking about showing this in another location?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @daniel.boon - we used Zoom to complete the signup for a webinar recently, but we have used other forms sending info to Salesforce or other systems.

I think a quick and easy solution would be to make the “Attend” button more customizable so that instead of just the built-in attendance counter, it could be optionally linked to a URL which could be whatever registration page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

One option we just made available is an integration via Zapier (see this inSpired idea). Documentation isn’t ready yet, but essentially this lets you create an integration with Zoom or other platforms to enable a one-click signup experience for end users. I still think being able to turn off attendees can be relevant, but with the Zapier integration you get the best of both worlds.

Would you consider using this @JessEs?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ll have to take it up with our marketing team, but it might help. :)