Working with drafts

• 30 July 2019
  • 9 replies

To make it easier for you to build up a knowledge base and prepare news/blog articles, we've released the ability to create draft articles in Control.

With draft articles you can:
✅ Control the publish date of your article (no more recreating articles from a hidden subforum to get the right date! ).
✅ Make draft articles available to your whole content team to review, edit, and publish.
✅ See who made the last edit to a draft, and when.
⚠️ There can only be one draft per article at any given time. Whenever you save a new draft, you'll overwrite the previous draft.
⚠️ Your users do not see drafts until you publish the article.

Adding draft articles

1. Click New article in Control
2. Enter initial content of your draft article
3. Select a category
4. Click Save as draft button next to the Publish button.

Editing draft articles

1. Go to Control → Content → Content Types → Articles and select the article you want to edit
2. Make your edits
3. Click Save changes

Publishing draft articles

1. Go to Control → Content → Content Types → Articles and select the article you want to publish
2. Verify all content and options are right
3. Click Publish

View all your draft articles

1. Log in to Control
2. Go to Control → Content → Content Types → Articles

A list with all your articles appears - you can check the drafts by status.

9 replies

Bit late to the news, but I've got a question, or perhaps a request, related to this new feature!

I've recently received a request to draft a topic that is supposed to be published at a later date. I've also been asked to provide a direct link to said published topic, ahead of it's publishing moment. From what I've seen with the draft feature, this does not seem possible.

Would it be possible to add an option to the draft feature, where I essentially ‘reserve’ an URL that will be used when the topic is published? I would then be able to share that URL before the topic goes live.

Badge

Hey Stijn,

Thanks for your (re)quest(ion) :grin: .

We have a couple of related requests already open which you might like to contribute to :):

Badge +1

Who can publish draft articles? I would think moderators, but mine don’t seem to have that ability.

Badge

Who can publish draft articles? I would think moderators, but mine don’t seem to have that ability.

Hey @Kgastaldo  - moderators should indeed be able to publish draft articles - I just tested this and was able to do so - maybe this is an issue that’s worth checking with our support team. Does the user have the primary role ‘moderator’, or a custom user role?

Badge +1

Hey @Kgastaldo  - moderators should indeed be able to publish draft articles - I just tested this and was able to do so - maybe this is an issue that’s worth checking with our support team. Does the user have the primary role ‘moderator’, or a custom user role?

I’ll check with support. Her primary role is moderator.

Hello! Are we able to make edits to existing articles and then save those edits in draft?  Or once it’s published is the draft capability no longer an option?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Brigid,

no, after being published, there is no draft functionality anymore, unfortunately. Maybe this is something we could add, I see that this would make sense for longer articles which can take some time to be properly updated!

Hello, this functionnality is very useful! But at the moment, it seems that I found a bug: I saved an article in draft but can’t find it in the backoffice. That’s not the first time I face this issue. There is code inside the article but I used the right style. Can you please help?

Is there a way to see historical changes from saved drafts? Insided occasionally loses the draft when embedding new images but I don’t see a way to restore the older version.