How to embed media (+ supported media types)

Embed media allows you to embed resources (videos, images, tweets, etc.) hosted by other platforms in your content.

Add media to your content

1. Copy embed code from the source you want to embed
2. Click Embed Media icon in the editor
3. Paste the embed code
4. Click Insert

Supported media

A lot of media can be embedded in your article from major platforms like:

• 5min.com
  • Anchor.fm
  • Archade.software
  • Blip.tv
  • Brightcove
  • Canva
  • CodePen
  • CollegeHumor
  • Daily Motion
  • Deezer
  • Figma
  • Funnyordie
  • Giphy
  • iorad
  • Hulu
  • JSFiddle
  • Livejournal
  • Loom
  • Metacafe
  • Pingvp
  • Qik.com
  • Revision3
  • Scribd.
  • Soundcloud
  • Spotify
  • Tenor
  • Thedailyshow
  • Twitter
  • Typeform
  • Viddler.
  • VideoAsk
  • Vidyard
  • Vimeo
  • Wistia + fast.wistia.net
  • WordPress.tv
  • Xkcd
  • Yfrog
  • Youtube

Note: When embedding media use the direct browser URL (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxv6IRcuNaI) and not the embedded URL (https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oxv6IRcuNaI - mind the /embed/)

78 replies

This is a great feature, thank you!

For surveys - Typeform works great, would be nice to have the same for Survey Monkey (they give you an embed script option, but I can’t put it directly in the post and I don’t want to fuss with injecting that with some conditions on every single page).

Important note if you’re trying to embed a Wistia video - use the “Share Link” option, not the “Inline Embed” one. For whatever reason, if you try the “Inline Embed” option, you’ll get a grey image that just gets larger when you click it - using the link actually embeds the content, and folks can play right within the article.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Ben,

thanks for sharing this tip here with us!

I think this is because embed codes usually carry some HTML code, which is usually not needed for our editor to embed the video properly. It is the same with Youtube videos…

This makes it easier also for end users of the platform to share media in a nice way, probably most end users would simply copy paste the video url into their post in order to show the video.

@Julian Is it possible to embed media with code instead of a URL within an article or post? 

I am trying to embed a Loom video, which auto-generate embeddable code. I can’t use the URL because Loom is not a supported platform. 

Here is an example: https://www.loom.com/share/a40b7afd533842ca8972a857dce2c23e

For additional context, we were able to embed this video within our Help Center here: https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004565046

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Cherise!

Thanks for sharing your challenge with us. I also currently do not see a way do embed this, unfortunately.

Until now, the editor supports embedding via url for all major video platforms, but not this one. I know that we are looking into some solutions which could make it easier to embed media (e.g. via HTML), however if you only have this url I think we’d have to specifically work on support of this platform.

Adding in @Yoeri so he does not miss out on this feedback.

Hi there, I’m trying to embed a YouTube video and it displays with the preview and actually plays the video in the editor, but when I go to the live page, there’s only a link to the video. Is there a way to have the same functionality within the live article? 

Thanks, Dasa

Badge

Hi @Julian - it looks like only I can upload videos in my community - where can I extend this permission to registered users? Thanks 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

To me it sounds like actually uploading videos as an attachment to a post, and not adding videos from youtube etc., right?

This setting is to be found under [Settings] - [Attachment permissions] within the Control environment:

I hope this helps you further?

Badge

To me it sounds like actually uploading videos as an attachment to a post, and not adding videos from youtube etc., right?

This setting is to be found under [Settings] - [Attachment permissions] within the Control environment:

I hope this helps you further?

Damn, it was in front of me all the time and I couldn’t see it. 

Thanks Jules :D 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

no problem, always happy to help! :)

Badge

no problem, always happy to help! :)

Wait… too soon. Now they cannot see the videos but they can upload? Is there some sort of view attachments permissions too?

Truth is it’s embedding videos to a post, not attaching them - sorry my bad, I should read more carefully. 

Badge

cc @Julian 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes, attachment =/= embedding, important difference here.

So we do offer attaching files to posts, however you cannot e.g. take a video with your phone, attach it to a post and then embed it as playable video into the editor. If you want to embed videos so that they can be viewed within a post, you should upload it to youtube, vimeo or one of the other platforms. You can then simply paste the url or use the “embed media” feature within the editor to have visitors view it in a post.

There are several reasons for not supporting embedding attached videos, mostly of legal nature but it’s also related to hosting capabilities. It would bring us in waters that expand way further than what our platform is designed for at the moment.

Badge

Hey @Julian, makes sense. The problem Im having is that me, admin, can embed the video but a user, registered user, cannot embed the same video through the embed media options. 

So it seems a permission thing, not a legal issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That is actually an interesting case! Just to clarify: You use the same url, and you are also doing it in the frontend - or are you doing this in the backend?

Badge

That is actually an interesting case! Just to clarify: You use the same url, and you are also doing it in the frontend - or are you doing this in the backend?

Front end, this is the video in question

I have a recording showing the issue but its a 7mb file

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for sharing this, I will do some testing and let you know!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ok so I have checked multiple communities, and initially I was able to reproduce this on your community as well. The link was not automatically converted into embedded media.

However, now it is just working, also as a registered user:

I am honestly a bit at a loss as to why this was not working so far - I have checked multiple times if it was related to attachment permissions, general permissions, even if the cookie, or your community not being live yet, could be the reason… but none of that seems to be the cause of it.

Could you test it once more with a registered user account, to see if it is now also working for you?

I’m having trouble embedding videos from YouTube. I get the error “The specific ULR is not supported”. I’ve tried multiple URL’s and the same error appears. I have the option to attach files. I even tried the steps in the video above and copy/pasted the video link. I checked on my permissions and I can select files to upload like pictures with no problem. Any ideas on this?

I also get an error when posting a Youtube video. Previously placed videos are also no longer available. Instead the message 'media is not available' appears. 

When I want to post the video again I get the message 'This service is not supported'

Someone who has a solution for this? 

Badge

@Julian  this is now luckily working for us but there seems to be a wider issue with embeds that I believe your support team should investigate as it's happening to several people. 

I have exactly same issue, agree with @Gabolino - something you should look in to. :thinking:

When trying to embed YouTube video “The specified domain is not supported” error appears. All other previously embedded videos now show message below :point_down: :

(Embedded not available)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi all,

thanks for all of your comments. There are two seperate things which have caused issues here:

@tmo_mike_c, @Ebbe & @ErikT the issue you described most likely was caused by the global outage Google had yesterday. Hopefully everything should be working now again!

@Gabolino Happy to hear your issue got solved - a developer has confirmed this to me as well. Did you observe any other issues related to embedding that are not caused by issues with Google services or the specific embedding of typeform surveys on your community? Then please let me know!

Badge

Yes, @Julian. Some members of my team can’t see the video embeds, meaning that some people see the videos but some don’t. See below:

This person in particular tried :

Chrome & Chrome incognito
SAfari & Safari Private

It’s on this post. Mind you the community is still in private mode. 

I am having this issue on my *brand new* community as well even today (12/30). @Yoeri 

I figured this out. The URL has some special parameters in it that insided does not like. Seems like an issue as depending on where it was shared from, youtube will append all sorts of garbage to the URL, but it won't prevent it from working.

workling:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qasksfm5dK4

not working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Qasksfm5dK4&feature=youtu.be