Question

Analytics - missing metrics and how to calculate them

• 2 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

How do you calculate the following metrics, given that the Analytics sections doesn’t seem to be able to (correct me if I’m wrong please):

1. The number of new, unique, visitors that make their first contribution.
  2. The number of contributors still active after six months.
  3. The number of visits per active member.
  4. Average time spent per active member.
  5. Average number of pages per visit per active member.

Test your analytical know how! 

8 replies

I can give my thoughts about number 1 on the list:

To track this, I would use a user export (all time) and see if they gave contributed at least one post. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can give my thoughts about number 1 on the list:

To track this, I would use a user export (all time) and see if they gave contributed at least one post. 

Thanks @Jeanie Lee - makes sense. If we wanted to track this monthly, would this be a monthly export and manual check?

@timcavey , yes. You would need to do a time bound export for the month and manually track the data. 

Hi @timcavey curious if you were able to get the workaround that you needed? Are you using the platform Analytics and if so, what are you measuring and how?

Userlevel 1
Badge

TBH @ryanne.perry I have never set up work arounds for this level of insight in active members. 

That said we’ve had good results using a combination of analytic tools for member and visitor behaviour: I would recommend FullStory, GA and Mixpanel. If you have a developer to hand, they should be able to build you any kind of custom insight report using JS. I don’t have that resource to hand but slowly learning this myself 🤓

What sort of thing are you looking to gain insight into and why? I find that always helps before diving into the data...

Thanks for the response @timcavey! I do have some technical folks I can work with to set up some more custom type dashboards but while we are still in beta phase looking for some easy metrics to share with stakeholders. As we have over a million users of our product we are trying to be sensitive to who we roll out to and when.

Some of the things we are trying to measure right now are

1. #Registered Users
  2. %Weekly active users
  3. %Users with 1 activity
  4. Topics Total and how many are from customers
  5. %answered by customer
  6. average time to answer

We also have our employees mixed in there as ‘Registered users’ so I am having trouble pulling this data from the control specific.

Essentially looking for how others are handling the data 👀

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@ryanne.perry and @timcavey -- the salesforce integration has done wonders for our ability to measure many of these things, if you use it. The reason: it writes an activity record of pretty much every action (including visit) they take on the community, which can then be turned into reports and dashboards in salesforce. 

(I don’t know why these activity records and metrics aren’t in the standard exports, but they aren’t). 

I use visits to determine active visitors and more. 

I haven’t focused on tim’s use case specifically, but it’s similar to Ryanne’s #3 above which is what we call “Contributing Users”

I spell out my approach in this reply here: 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yep SF integration would help you get this, @ryanne.perry. Thanks @DannyPancratz looking into this now.

@ryanne.perry 

1. #Registered Users
  2. %Weekly active users
  3. %Users with 1 activity
  4. Topics Total and how many are from customers
  5. %answered by customer
  6. average time to answer

These are available in Insided Analytics minus #4.

We also have our employees mixed in there as ‘Registered users’ so I am having trouble pulling this data from the control specific.

Could you add custom roles for employees to help filter them out from the customer users?