šŸ“±a discussion on Mobile traffic trends

• 3 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Interested to learn from Community managers, what is your mobile/desktop usage trends like?

Noted our mobile trafficĀ at 10% last quarter and at 14% for 12mo or more, seems low considering 70% internet traffic is from mobile in 2021Ā and 57% of LinkedInā€™s traffic (drawing a parallel to a prof. networking website) is mobile.

Thoughts?

Ā 

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I think such insights would be valuable for our new community benchmark, I am not sure why we have not measured this across all communities beforeā€¦ I will put it on the list!

It surely is a best practice to have your community also designed with a mobile view in mind - especially if you have the majority of visitors coming to your community via a mobile device.

What I can say for sure is that there is a huge difference between B2B and B2C communities. I am not surprised by the numbers that you share, it can also be expected that, in a work context, people are more likely to be on a laptop or a desktop pc when they decide to visit your community. There is some fluctuation depending on the business / vertical, but in general the mobile traffic does not go above 20%.

On the opposite side of the spectrum I see that our telecom operators measure between 70%-80% of traffic coming from a mobile device. Hence the experience of a Community Manager on their own community (browsing on a pc) will differ a lot from the experience most of their visitors will have. Super important to keep that in mind when reviewing the design of your community!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think such insights would be valuable for our new community benchmark, I am not sure why we have not measured this across all communities beforeā€¦ I will put it on the list!

It surely is a best practice to have your community also designed with a mobile view in mind - especially if you have the majority of visitors coming to your community via a mobile device.

What I can say for sure is that there is a huge difference between B2B and B2C communities. I am not surprised by the numbers that you share, it can also be expected that, in a work context, people are more likely to be on a laptop or a desktop pc when they decide to visit your community. There is some fluctuation depending on the business / vertical, but in general the mobile traffic does not go above 20%.

On the opposite side of the spectrum I see that our telecom operators measure between 70%-80% of traffic coming from a mobile device. Hence the experience of a Community Manager on their own community (browsing on a pc) will differ a lot from the experience most of their visitors will have. Super important to keep that in mind when reviewing the design of your community!

Awesome perspective @JulianĀ and indeed our strong B2B admin population is on laptop browsers. Having said that for broadening up to making my community to be more colourful and diverse, I may have reason to then start attracting on-the-go mobile userbase.