Question

Salesforce integration Question

• 15 February 2023
  • 3 replies

I’ve had success setting up our Salesforce integration, however, while it has recognized the number of accounts/customers we have in the engagement tab, where it is lacking is the recognition of which community members belong to which account if they’re using a different email (say a personal one) than what we have on file?

N.B: We were short on engineering resources during our build so we opted to skip setting up the SSO, much to my chagrin. But here we are…please don’t @ me haha 

So what am I looking for? Are there any suggestions, hacks, tips, ideas on how I could use the integration or a different integration (zapier maybe) to add community members to accounts in our salesforce instance?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Yikes. I’ll keep thinking on this, but not sure there’s a good answer. 

TBH, I address this by manually updating SFDC community records and contacts once per week for 5-15 minutes. But my problem is much smaller in scope, as most match up thanks to SSO. 

It’s worth it for me to take the time, as it’s key to allowing accurate segmentation for my reports and dashboards on engagement by account type, company, etc. 

Here’s what I do: 

SFDC Report of recently active community members (community activity, sorted reverse chronological by date), filtered for those whose account is blank (I think it uses account = “”). 

Then, every Friday morning, I go through and I match those community user records and contacts up to the appropriate account. 

warning: the integration matches on email address. So while it might make sense to match the community user record to an existing contact in salesforce tied to their work email, this will break the match with their Insided account. Updating the contact associated with a community user automatically writes the email from that contact record to the community user record. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

We have done some user look up stuff with Zapier. Maybe you could use a profile field for company (if you have it) to try to find the account record and then update the contact or community record? 

sounds like something that could be possible, but I haven’t done much with Salesforce and Zapier. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Last idea (sorry for the spam posting as my brain works through options). 

IF you have to do a big manual audit. I’ve had success using the Google Sheets Zapier integration for running bulk actions. There’s an option for transferring all the existing data in the sheet and then running the actions setup. So you can get your sheet ready with updates, then run the Zap “once” in a way where it executes the Zap for every row in the sheet and does your bulk update.