Solved

When does active since last visit reset?

• 3 August 2020
  • 3 replies

• Team Captain
  • 66 replies

Does anyone know when the menu item ‘Active since last visit’ resets?

or

Is there a way that Members can reset their ‘Active since last visit’?

Our members are reporting that they belive it only clears if they log out of the community, and many of them prefer to stay logged in.

icon

Best answer by Julian 7 August 2020, 16:49

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

It is true that this only resets when a logout happened. So when they keep all their tabs open all the time (which, admittedly, I also do) it could be that it is not updating the way it is supposed or expected to.

I think it is a challenge to measure visit in another way that is as reliable. I also remember some other community where the superusers did not like how this works. I'll share the feedback with the product team.

What you could do: Change the phrase of this button to be more specific what it does: "activity since last login". This will help to manage expectations, unfortunately there is no other way to tweak this.

Another tip: Depending on how smooth your login/logout process is, they could also quickly do these steps to update the list. All other tabs will reload in realtime when a logout/login happens to stay up-to-date with permissions.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Julian wanted to tag along this thread to ask if this feature or dropdown menu option would help a case we currently have in our community where our active members would like an easy way to track the threads they have been active in. Would this option be better to view that information or is a better option for members to visit the “subscribed posts” link in their profile drop-down option?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @genells and thanks for sharing this very good question with me. I know that feeling, especially when a user has been very active, finding that one really helpful comment amongst hundreds of replies can be tricky…

Outside of my general advice below, I will also share some tips that I found to be the most efficient way to recover specific older threads.

In general, think that this often is down to personal preference, but here are several ways in how users could find back threads that they have been active in:

Subscribed post link in dropdown

Now this could be a way for users to find back, as it usually holds all the topics a user has been active in. Nevertheless, it does not offer additional filtering (yet), hence it is a more global overview and might be less efficient if a user has been active in many different topics.

Topics / Replies overview in profile

If users know that the post that they are looking for has been posted recently, they can also simply browse the “Topics” or “Replies” list in the same dropdown menu.

This can be more helpful when a user knows if the content was a new topic or a reply. E.g., if I have created a Tutorial on how to achieve something, it will be easy to find this way. Of course, here it also can become a challenge when a user has created a ton of content.

Search

Often overlooked, users can simply use the community search feature to locate the topic of their interest. This of course requires the user to be able to recall certain keywords, but usually content can be found this way (unless your community has a ton of content around the same keywords).

My personal recommendation

It is likely that the active users can easily find back content that they are refering to more often: Think of the one tutorial or troubleshooting that every user asks about. When I was a Community Manager, I kept folders of bookmarks of helpful content.

However, also the browser history can help a lot with efficiency: Nowadays, I usually simply type in some keywords into the address bar of my browser, and it will automatically show me the link that I want to point a user to.

In my opinion, this is by far the fastest and easiest way to find back those older engagements (but of course it requires one to recall the title...).

Hope this helps!